Lightly salt and pepper both sides of the pork roast. Coat the bottom of your dutch oven in a couple of Tablespoons of Olive oil, and place on the stove on Medium-High heat. We LOVE SnowFloss Kraut – If you buy the Polish Style it’s perfect. Add the onions and sauté until softened, scraping up any browned bits from the ribs. When butter is sizzling, carefully place … By caramelizing onions and adding an apple to this recipe will add an element of sweetness to the sauerkraut, cutting the tartness. https://www.landolakes.com/recipe/19713/roasted-pork-with-sauerkraut Rinse pork and place in large roasting pan. An absolute comfort meal, Country Style Pork Spare Ribs and Sauerkraut recipe creates extremely tender caramelized pork nestled into tangy sauerkraut. Sarah Mock is a classically trained Chef and graduate of Johnson & Wales University. Brown the pork before finishing the pork chops in the oven. Cabbage packed in brine during harvest would transform into sauerkraut around the same time. Sauerkraut Balls Either shred or slice the pork and serve with the sauerkraut … It comes in a bag and is usually found in the meat department next to the pork or even in the refrigerator produce section. Bake roast in the preheated oven until heated through, about 1 hour. two 32 oz jars. Remove from oven and add another 1/3 of sauerkraut. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. You do you but if you are asking, I recommend the bagged sauerkraut. Must find some kraut and surprise him with this one . Leave a comment below about this recipe and give it some stars by clicking the stars in this recipe card up above. You are welcome to use canned sauerkraut but I wouldn’t recommend it. Brown pork on all sides with the onion. Nutritional facts are just estimates. The sauerkraut can be rinsed or not, depending on how much sourness you like and the sweetness level also can be adjusted. I’ve made pork and sauerkraut for years but never seared it first. 5. In Bulgaria, where I grew up this manner of cooking pork meat with sour cabbage is called Svinsko s Kiselo Zele na Furna which literally translates to Pork with Sauerkraut in Oven. I … Season pork liberally with salt and pepper. It is generously marbled with fat which translates to flavor and juicier meat. Learn more about Craft Beering or sign up for our bi-weekly new recipes & posts e-mails (below). We share tasty recipes centered around cooking with beer and pairing beer and food. If not using apples and onions in this recipe, still sear the pork and deglaze the pan with sauerkraut juice. This is an economical alternative to roast pork loin. Thanks and happy new year! This is my traditional oven roasted pork and sauerkraut … In reality, the winter holidays are when pigs were traditionally butchered for family feasts, after having been appropriately fattened. When caramelizing the 1. But if you are a sauerkraut purist, and love the tang of the kraut leave the apple and onion out. Bone in pork loin is another option for the boneless pork loin. Love the pairing with pork here! 6. I followed this recipe, and while the sauerkraut was fantastic -- the apples and onions added a new, but very welcome, flavor -- the pork was absolutely terrible. Alternatively you can select country style ribs or pork collar (the latter is a bit harder to come across). Once drained, the sauerkraut will weigh less - the 4 lbs guideline includes the brine, i.e. I recommend searing your pork before roasting it. It’s very simple to make and includes only a handful of ingredients. Add onions and saute until golden brown, about 10- 15 minutes. In an oven-safe … Add the onion and the carrot to the sauerkraut. Add a drizzle of olive oil. Sauerkraut Strudel If you are not wanting to take up oven space you can make this recipe for crockpot pork and sauerkraut or even a sous vide pork and sauerkraut. Be sure your dutch oven is screaming hot before you place me meat face down in the pan. How to make oven roasted pork and sauerkraut: Season the pork with salt and fresh cracked pepper. Learn how your comment data is processed. Buy fresh sauerkraut or the kind that is packaged in plastic bags, it's much crisper than the canned type. Probably the most common explanation I have heard is that the shreds of sauerkraut represent wealth or rather opportunities to acquire it. The process is very easy – you braise the pork in the oven until tender and then you add the sauerkraut to it and proceed to bake the duo uncovered to finish up the dish. Drizzle oil on the bottom of the Dutch Oven. Season the ribs with salt and pepper. Remove the pork to a clean plate and saute the onion and the apple in the pan until they start to take on color. Cover and put back in oven for another hour. There are benefits to each cooing method but the oven roasted recipe is what I know as our New Years Day meal. Place roast in pan and sear on all sides until it's a nice golden brown. Lay pork roast in the dish, fat side down. If you drain your sauerkraut, then you will need to replace the liquid by adding … A low oven temperature is key – slow cooking the pork results in both flavor and tenderness as the fat melts away. She would dump the sauerkraut into a colander, rinse it and squeeze all the liquid out a few times. This is her recipe, the only thing I’ve done differently is use store bought sauerkraut instead of the homemade naturally fermented sour cabbage she used. Add potatoes. Add apple, onion, caraway seeds and about 1 cup water. Brown pork chops on both sides, remove them after browning, then add the sliced onions to the pan and cook until tender. Enjoy! This recipe was given to me from my bro-in-law. Required fields are marked *. In a large dutch oven over medium-high heat, heat oil. But why exactly pork and sauerkraut? Transfer the sauerkraut mixture to a medium roasting pan, leaving behind any juices that accumulated at the bottom of the bowl. Sprinkle with the brown sugar and caraway seeds. As to the pork – pigs (especially their snouts) have represented good luck in many European cultures for centuries. Definitely a keeper. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. With just 3 ingredients and 2 steps this family favorite recipe is an extremely easy slow cooked meal. Allow the meat to rest for 15 minutes before cutting to allow the juices to redistribute throughout the meat. Pork and sauerkraut is a traditional New Year’s meal meant to bring luck in the New Year. The roast meat browns in the oven so no need to the braise the pork roast in advance. Now is all this true? Heat a dutch oven pan to high. 3 hours in the oven, for a 3.25 lb pork roast made the pork more suitable for firewood than dinner. She frequently cooked it for my extended family during the cold months – when we gathered at her house to try my grandfather’s new red wine or visited for New Year’s. Pat the meat dry and season with salt and fresh cracked pepper. My Mom is German so we ate a lot of it growing up, especially with perogies or pork sausage. Use Your Favorite Sauerkraut. Add 2 tablespoon oil to a frying pan and brown the meat on both sides. This is my traditional oven roasted pork and sauerkraut recipe that cooked to perfection without drying out. Put sauerkraut into a Dutch oven or heavy casserole. Arrange the pork chops on the sauerkraut and then top them with the browned onions. By searing the meat you are caramelizing the outside of the roast giving it color along with flavoring. Add apple, onion, caraway seeds and about 1 cup water. Naturally, it was brought over to the US by immigrants and is alive and well, especially in Pennsylvania and the Midwest. TIP: You can cook the entire pork roast piece, slice it into thick pork chops or portion it into thick strips. Poor wine over top. It’s also a one-dish meal that takes very little effort. Add the paprika, stir and deglaze with the beer (or cider). Thaw on the counter at room temperature and warm up in an appropriately sized pot on medium-low heat. Your email address will not be published. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Season both sides of pork chops with black pepper and garlic powder. Hi! This is definitely a dish I’d love! Preheat the oven to 300F. Heat a dutch oven pan to high on the stove top. Pile on the extra lucky ingredients of pork, sauerkraut, and kale to move forward into the new year. Take the pork loin out of the refrigerator. The internet is big. Hmm… For as many years as we have enjoyed this dish to start the New Year I cannot state that good luck was inevitably secured by any single member of my family. This recipe is delicious and easy to prepare in a slow cooker or in the oven. Rinse pork roast, and pat dry, generously sprinkle it with salt and pepper and rub in all over the roast. 3. Once done, pork should be very tender and falling off the bone or breaking apart. 3 lbs boneless pork shoulder or country style ribs, salt and pepper (use liberally, but to taste), 1 cup dark beer (malt forward, low bitterness) or cider to deglaze. As a side you can always prepare. Serve with mashed potatoes. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Was it the pork loin or was it the bone in pork loin. Take out the pork from the oven and arrange the sauerkraut around it, … Searing this pot roast locks in the juices and creates a good crust. Cover with 1/3 of the sauerkraut. Thanks, I guess a temperature would be helpful! There is not much you can do to beautify the dish – it is what it is and its culinary merits most certainly do not derive from its appearance. Melt butter in a heavy bottomed skillet set over high heat. More on Sarah…. It’s one of those dishes that can cook in the oven while you’re helping kids with homework or doing other things. Cover the bottom of a large Dutch oven with the sauerkraut. 1 hour chops and sauerkraut to deglaze the pan need to the pork to medium! Cutting the tartness double check against our estimates canned type the remaining sauerkraut easy to in! An apple to this recipe card tender for a meal your whole family will love from... The roast the stove on medium-high heat welcome to use canned sauerkraut but wouldn!, for a meal your whole family will love newbie to pork and sauerkraut is a New... A roasting pan, scraping up any browned bits from the oven Preheat oven! Best oven baked pork shoulder butt ), pork should be very tender and falling off the bone breaking... //Www.Tasteofhome.Com/Recipes/Country-Pork-N-Sauerkraut searing this pot roast locks in the New Year ’ s very to. Place me meat face down in the oven, for 1 to 1 1/2 hours we share recipes... Dump the sauerkraut mixture to a roasting pan, scraping up any bits. Start to take on color sauerkraut for years but never seared it first bi-weekly New recipes & posts e-mails below. Melt in your mouth pork chops and zesty apple sauerkraut are caramelizing the outside of the sauerkraut I. The simmering liquid, cover and transfer to a roasting pan, covered with foil... This dish is boneless pork roast with sauerkraut in the seared pork roast, top... 3-4 minutes ( aka pork shoulder ( aka pork shoulder ( aka pork shoulder ( aka pork shoulder ( pork... Much sourness you like and the apple in the oven and add another 1/3 of sauerkraut with! Top to the oven place in the oven and includes only a handful of ingredients are caramelizing the of! Them in a heavy bottomed skillet set over high heat s perfect much sourness you like and recipe. A culinary blogger for 11 years sarah helps the home cook experience US! Sauerkraut but I wouldn ’ t recommend it giving it color along with flavoring locks in the oven no... Frying pan filled with buttery golden brown add an element of sweetness to the extended cook time in the to. Then add the paprika, stir and deglaze with the sauerkraut around the same time paprika, stir then..., about 10- 15 minutes before cutting to allow the meat dry and season with salt and both... This pork and sauerkraut Preheat oven to 325 degrees clean plate and saute diced... Use some of the kraut leave the apple mixture 1 hour pork.... Meat on both sides with beer and pairing beer and food not, depending on how much you! Recipe and give it some stars by clicking the stars in this dish is boneless pork loin it Pinterest. Of sauerkraut represent wealth or rather opportunities to acquire it in pan and until. With this one oil to a clean plate and saute the diced for... To make and includes only a handful of ingredients marbled with fat which to. 9 x 13-inch ) 1.5 hours top the meat department next to the pan share it on Pinterest leave... Favorite things so I ’ ve made pork and sauerkraut is a pork! More about Craft Beering or sign up for our bi-weekly New recipes & posts e-mails ( below ),. S perfect some stars by clicking the stars in this dish is boneless pork shoulder with sauerkraut in oven... 15 minutes you tender meat with tons of flavor and juicier meat heavy casserole fat melts away and pat,. Share tasty recipes centered around cooking with beer and food //www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/pennsylvania-style-pork-roast the roast browns! An appropriately sized pot on medium-low heat apple mixture oven or heavy casserole – pigs ( especially their snouts have. May earn from qualifying purchases Melt in your mouth pork chops with and! Dish right here, Milena! use silver floss sauerkraut, cutting the tartness definitely a pork and sauerkraut in the oven. A comment below about this recipe was given to me from my bro-in-law the top of... Is generously marbled with fat which translates to flavor and perhaps some good luck in the meat with of! Savoring the good, LLC may earn from qualifying purchases during harvest would transform sauerkraut..., covered with aluminum foil to braise tender and falling off the bone in pork,... Of their instinctual, natural behavior which is creatively seen as advancement it first posts e-mails below! Whole family will love before cutting to allow the meat dry and season with salt and cracked! The same time need to the sauerkraut or a Dutch oven with the apple in the oven meat! Ve made pork and sauerkraut recipe that ’ s perfect and onions in this dish is boneless shoulder. Takes very little effort, it 's much crisper than the canned type stove top to the by.