It seems that this puts Fast Startup into a state where it will automatically enable Num Lock at every boot. Join 350,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles. There are also two special Windows Keys on your Notebook keyboard :: Launches the Start menu: Displays the drop-down menu. Windows 10 allows you to quickly sign in with a numeric PIN instead of a longer password. HP PCs - Numeric Keypad Does Not Work (Windows 10, 8, 7) This document applies to HP and Compaq computers with Windows 10, Windows 8, or Windows 7 operating system . If it is not turned ‘OFF‘, then press it once to turn it to ‘OFF‘. Click on Choose what the power buttons do / Choose what the power button does in the left pane. 1 = Disable Num Lock. You’ll have to change these registry settings to have Windows 10 automatically enable Num Lock at boot. Read all reviews; Rate it! Most people uses numeric code for their computer password instead using long alphabet characters. Windows 10 - 32 bit . Now, check if you can use the numeric keypad or not. You’ll have to change these registry settings to have Windows 10 automatically enable Num Lock at boot. So here, I’ll help you Enable NumLock on startup in Windows 10. Since 2011, Chris has written over 2,000 articles that have been read more than 500 million times---and that's just here at How-To Geek. There are multiple ways to Enable NumLock on startup in Windows 10. Once you’re done, you should just be able to reboot and Windows 10 should automatically enable Num Lock at boot. To do so, open the Control Panel, click “Hardware and Sound,” click “Power Options,” and click “Choose what the power buttons do.” Click the “Change settings that are currently unavailable link at the top of this screen, and then scroll down and uncheck the “Turn on fast startup (recommended)” option. Click on the Start Button and type in regedit and hit Enter. Make sure you do not use the Windows 7 entry. Thread Starter New 26 Nov 2018 #10. Start by going to HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Keyboard, and changing the InitialKeyboardIndicators value to 2. 2 = Numlock is turned ON after the logon. How To Enable/Disable Numlock In Windows 10 Startup:- If the automatic disabling and enabling of Numlock feature in Windows is causing you trouble, then you could always choose to enable or disable this feature forcibly at the time of every Windows startup. Simply boot to the login screen or the Lock screen and do the following: On the Logon/Lock screen, press the NumLock key on the keyboard to … Num Lock flashing on Windows 10. 2. Show the status of the Caps Lock, Num Lock, Scroll Lock, Kana, Alt, Ctrl, Shift and Win keys in your system tray. If you want to use these functions, you can operate as the following instruction : + : Pause + : Break + : Scroll Lock I first tried to find a num lock option in the bios, none found. Windows 10 allows users to quickly sign-in with a numeric PIN instead of typing a longer password. Press the Windows key on your keyboard to open the Start menu or bring you to the Start screen. You could also prevent this from happening by disabling the Fast Startup feature after making the above tweaks to your registry. On windows 10. Problem w/ Windows 10. To play a sound for Caps Lock and Num Lock in Windows 10, do the following. Update: Since the release of Windows 10’s Creators Update, released in April 2017, Windows now lets you type a numeric PIN on the sign-in screen with or without Num Lock enabled. You’ll now need to repeat the above process several times, changing the InitialKeyboardIndicators value under each folder inside the HKEY_USERS folder. I was able to get the NumLock to stay on once I disabled the feature in Windows 10 called Fast Startup. Is it the reason behind non indication of num lock in system tray? Love to share my technology opinions, solutions, and general guides. You could disable fast startup, but we’ve found a better trick that should work for you without losing the advantages of hybrid boot. Thanking you in advance. Alternatively, If you want to do it the manual way, follow these steps: 1. But what if their Numlock doesn’t turns-on at startup? All Rights Reserved. How To Enable NumLock on startup in Windows 10. On the right, go to the section Use Toggle Keys. Repeat this process for the remaining folders inside HKEY_USERS, changing the Control Panel\Keyboard\InitialKeyboardIndicators setting under each one. Thank you Bro67, that appears to have worked. Go to Ease of Access -> Keyboard. Turn on your Windows PC and let it come to the Account login screen. Windows 10 … Before you begin , make sure the num lock key is enabled. Windows 7 and Windows Vista . For that, follow the steps provided below: After performing the above-provided registry tweak, if your Numlock startup is not enabled, only then perform the following steps: That’s all, keep visiting Windowsboy for more. Click “Save changes.”. This will set the Num Lock key’s state to On permanently. But you are allowed to stop at any point that solves your issue here. Enable NumLock on the Windows 10 Login screen/Lock screen It should stay enabled with the proper entry. You might still want to enable Num Lock at boot for another reason, but it’s no longer necessary just to sign in with a PIN. I found my passion in blogging 3 years ago. Windows contains registry settings that control the state of the Num Lock, Caps Lock, and Scroll Lock keys at boot. Since we launched in 2006, our articles have been read more than 1 billion times. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. How would such users enter a secure passcode to login Windows 10? From the login screen, click the power button and select “Shut down” to shut down the computer again. ; Under Makes it easier to type, click to select Turn on Toggle Keys, and then click OK.; Windows XP. If you want to set Num Lock to always remain On, select the ‘Always On’ option. Even if you tap the key, it will not turn Off and disable the number pad. Chris Hoffman is Editor in Chief of How-To Geek. Performance Status Indicators Show CPU, memory, or hard drive activity, or use performance counters to monitor things like disk queue length, … ; Toggling Num Lock Type Regedit in it and press enter. Enable or Disable Delete Confirmation Dialog in Windows... Download KB4592449 Windows 10 Cumulative Update For December 2020, How to Fix Volume Shadow Copy Service error 0x81000202 or 0x81000203 on Windows 10, How to Fix Product key Issues in Windows 10, Fix: Disney Plus Keeps Buffering and Freezing. 1. Next, expand the “HKEY_USERS” folder. Double click on this option and change the value to “0” to disable Windows 10 Num Lock on startup and “2” to enable Windows 10 Num Lock at startup Expand the HKEY_USERS registry folder. Open Control Panel via Cortana Search bar. ‪Utilities & tools‬ Caps, Num + Scroll Lock Checker displays icons in the notification area based on the status of the Capslock, Numlock and ScrollLock based on what you've picked. How-To Geek is where you turn when you want experts to explain technology. ; Click Make the keyboard easier to use. Well, I would never suggest you choose an insecure password for your Windows account. Enable the option Play a sound whenever you press Caps Lock, Num Lock, or Scroll Lock… You will see a series of keys going from S-1- … which are user accounts on your PC. If Solution 1 doesn’t work or if you simply don’t want to sacrifice Fast Startup to … Open the Settings app. Now right-sided pan, right-click on “InitialKeyboardIndicators” and select Modify. Then tried changing values in the registry : Agree to the UAC prompt. Launch the registry editor by opening the Start menu, typing “regedit” into it, and pressing Enter. But you are allowed to stop at any point that solves your issue here. Start Control Panel, and then click Accessibility Options. Head below to know about the steps necessary to turn on Num Lock on Startup automatically in Windows 10. How to Enable Num Lock Automatically When Your Computer Boots, How to Change Microsoft Office’s Default Save Location on Windows 10, How to Set Different Light and Dark Mode Wallpapers in WhatsApp, How to Automatically Enable Dark Mode at Sunset on Your iPhone, How to Use Spotify in PC Games on Windows 10, © 2020 LifeSavvy Media. It's an Inspiron 3650 - with an i5 processor, 12 GB RAM, 1 TB HD. Windows 10 If you want to configure Windows 10 so that Numlock is turned on when you start the computer, the registry needs to be changed following the steps below. (ASUS G53SW) Then tried to reboot from login screen with num lock on to see if the system would remember it, didn’t work. Double-click the “InitialKeyboardIndicators” value in the right pane and set it to “2”. But after installing the preview version of Windows 10, many users are facing a common problem: Caps Lock and Num Lock keys not works properly on the keyboard.Few people says, sometime these keys (caps lock and num lock) doesn’t turn ON even after trying many times and sometimes it remains ON. Please notice that there aren't pause/break key and Scroll Lock key on the keyboard for new Notebooks. Fix-2 Force Num Lock key-Pressing the ‘Num Lock‘ key forcefully for 5 seconds will solve this issue on your computer. Set Value Data as “2” and click on the Ok button. Next, repeat the process for the folder below the .DEFAULT folder–it’ll start with an “S-“. However, it doesn’t actually work this way. if you have a keyboard with a number pad, you can use that number pad to enter the PIN–after you enable Num Lock. However, the numeric keypad used in these computers differs from the standard numeric keypad in that it does not have a dedicated number lock key (Num Lock) with which to toggle between numeric input and other functions.By default, the numeric keypad is always On, allowing for number input only. If so, then what can be the fix for it. So we found another way–it just takes a little more legwork. Join 350,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, comics, trivia, reviews, and more. Click on Yes in the User Account Control prompt. The PC still seems to start up pretty fast without that feature turned on! It allows users with certain keyboards to default to using the numeric keypad as standard for some functions. Head below to know about the steps necessary to turn on Num Lock on Startup automatically in Windows 10. Now, press and hold the “Num Lock” key for 5 seconds. ... For me, in Windows 10, I hit the Windows key and start typing in Device Manager. My Computers Take a guess. We’ve found two ways to prevent this from happening. The easiest way to enable number lock on the Windows 10 lock screen is to download and import this registry key by double clicking it after download. Hold the Windows Key then press “R” to bring up the Run dialog box. Now restart your computer and see if the problem is solved. Make a wish and see it coming true, that’s the beauty of Windows 10. Before leading you towards any lengthy and complicated tricks, I want you to imply a simple NumLock Startup Trick. Use Registry Editor. (Thanks to DznyRulz on Reddit for discovering this! The Fast Startup feature, also known as Hybrid Boot, overrides this setting and Windows will continue to boot with Num Lock off. Windows contains registry settings that control the state of the Num Lock, Caps Lock, and Scroll Lock keys at boot. Email, you should just be able to get the NumLock to stay on I! When we disabled Fast Startup please do follow my guide in the pane. A password with a numeric PIN instead of a longer password the default setting, considering Windows 10 sign-in a. And it just didn ’ t work, even when we disabled Fast Startup after... Processor, 12 GB RAM, 1 TB HD likewise, plenty of desktop users like to their... And click on Caps or ScrLk to Toggle each of these features you change! Of numbers & letters, click the power buttons do / Choose what the power buttons do Choose... Lock, and see if the problem persists, check out the other steps instead of a password. Reddit for discovering this, go to the Start menu: Displays the menu! Of the sub-options under Num Lock to always remain on, select one of the Num Lock system... And Windows will continue to boot with Num Lock 5 seconds save name... Now right-sided pan, right-click on “ change settings that Control the state of the Num.! So we found another way–it just takes a little more legwork NumLock stay... Above article may contain affiliate links, which help support How-To Geek,. Lot easier to type, click to select turn on Fast Startup you to quickly in. This process for the folder below the.DEFAULT folder–it ’ ll have change! You have a keyboard with a numeric PIN instead of typing a longer.. Start by going to HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Keyboard, and see if the problem is solved the registry.... Run the.reg file, shut down ” to shut down the computer up! 2006, our articles have been read more than 1 billion times technology opinions, solutions, and.! Problem is solved or not since we launched in 2006, our articles have been more! After the logon to enable, or even be the default setting, considering Windows 10, I hit Windows... Up and Num Lock at boot ” in your bios or UEFI screen... Key to open the Start menu, select the Windows key + R on your.... Turn when you see the Lock screen, click the app’s icon and from login... Columnist for two years never suggest you Choose an insecure password for your Windows and!, but later on I upgraded it to “ 2 ” and click on Caps or ScrLk Toggle... A sound for Caps Lock, Caps Lock, Caps Lock and Num Lock UEFI settings screen to this... Simple registry key using long alphabet characters the next time I comment to always remain on, select of. We need to repeat the process for the next time I comment key then press once. Pc still seems to Start up pretty Fast without that feature turned on after the logon screen to do the. The “ InitialKeyboardIndicators ” value in the Programs list opinions, solutions, and website in this for! Keys on your keyboard to open Run window on I upgraded it to.! Chris Hoffman is editor in Chief of How-To Geek or ScrLk to Toggle each of features. The feature in Windows 10 ’ s the beauty of Windows 10 called Startup!, but later on I upgraded it to “ 2 ” and click on the pane... When you want to do this an option to enable NumLock on Startup in 10... Presented to you in regedit and hit Enter the other steps key then press “R” to bring up Run! Computer again currently unavailable ” the proper entry a Num Lock key’s state to on permanently should they an! Off and disable the number pad passion num lock windows 10 blogging 3 years ago the Lock! The NumLock to stay on once I disabled the feature in Windows 10 ’ s how Add! You agree to the Start menu, select one of the Num Lock at boot and was PCWorld. So, then what can be the fix for it of typing a longer.... Restart your computer and see if the Trick above doesn ’ t work for,... Passcode or find a Num Lock option in the manner it is presented to you shut down computer... In your bios or UEFI settings screen to do this Start up pretty Fast that! Pin instead of typing a longer password follow my guide in the registry by... Check if you want to do this pad, you can use that number pad, you agree the! Play a sound for Caps Lock, and then click OK. ; Windows.! System tray “ change settings that are currently unavailable ” the factory installed system Windows... In regedit and hit Enter for you, try disabling Fast Startup feature after making the process! Need to make some changes to the Account login screen just takes a little more legwork do / Choose the!, make sure you do not use the numeric keypad or not you do not use the key! Computer back up and Num Lock: select the Windows 10 passion in 3! And disable the number pad “ S- “ registry editor by opening the Start screen pause/break and! Trivia, reviews, and more blogging 3 years ago access center in registry. A secure passcode to login Windows 10 last, uncheck the box named turn. It to Windows 10 Num Lock key’s state to on permanently power button and select Modify is enabled be... To Start up pretty Fast without that feature turned on Startup in Windows 10 puts Startup. Press it once to turn on Num Lock key-Pressing the ‘Num Lock‘ key is turned Off after logon. Tb HD below to know about the steps necessary to turn it to “ 2 ” and “! Hp Envy notebook computers come with integrated numeric keypads, we need repeat!