When the Washingtons’ granddaughter announced her upcoming marriage, Martha planned to give Ona to her as a wedding present. Martha Washington was so impressed by Ona’s work that she took her with them to live in the presidential mansion when George Washington was elected. The Great Book of Badass Women: 15 Fearless and Inspirational Women that Changed Hi... To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. Ona Judge Outwits the Washingtons: An Enslaved Woman Fights for Freedom (Encounter: Narrative Nonfiction Picture Books), Library Binding – Picture Book, October 1, 2019, Ona Judge Outwits the Washingtons: An Enslaved Woman Fights for Freedom (Encounter: Narrative…, Previous page of related Sponsored Products, A beautifully illustrated book for young Black boys & any child! I Dissent: Ruth Bader Ginsburg Makes Her Mark. Little Feminist Picture Book (Inspiring Children’s Books, Feminist Books for Kids, ... What will I be? It will certainly start a discussion and lead to deep research! Even though Ona lived much better than the slaves at Mount Vernon, seeing free black people in Philadelphia made her long to be a free person also. This short nonfiction reading gives students a fair picture of what life was like for enslaved people in the early years of the United States. Ona fled to New Hampshire and started a new life. Ona fled to New Hampshire and started a new life. (Prices may vary for AK and HI.). Our payment security system encrypts your information during transmission. The style of the artwork fit the book. . Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Gwendolyn Hooks has uncovered a historical gem in the story of Ona Judge, an enslaved woman in the household of President George Washington, the personal servant of his wife, Martha. Ona Judge Outwits the Washingtons: An Enslaved Woman Fights for Freedom by Gwendolyn Hooks Illustrated by Simone Agoussoye Soon after American colonists had won independence from Great Britain, Ona Judge was fighting for her own freedom from one of America's most famous founding fathers, George Washington. Download it once and read it on your Kindle device, PC, phones or tablets. Soon after American colonists had won independence from Great Britain, Ona Judge was fighting for her own freedom from one of America's most famous founding fathers, George Washington. She was enslaved and lived with George and Martha Washington. Written with strength and objectivity, this biographic picture book presents as much as we know of the life of one talented and determined woman who outwitted and out-distanced George Washington. The book is very text-heavy, with an unattractive typeface, and fails to retell the story with the kind of pacing and imagined dialogue which can help to connect young readers with a story from history. Well done. I was not initially fond of the illustrations but they grew on me as I continued to read the book. For inspiration, she turns to her husband, three kids and a cat. Another book with a great message on an important person i history but unfortunately that isn't enough to make a good book. But the Washingtons wouldn't give up easily. Ona Judge Outwits the Washingtons (Encounter: Narrative Nonfiction Picture Books) - Kindle edition by Hooks, Gwendolyn, Agoussoye, Simone. We’d love your help. Soon after American colonists had won independence from Great Britain, Ona Judge was fighting for her own freedom from one of America's most famous founding fathers, George Washington. Soon after American colonists had won independence from Great Britain, Ona Judge was fighting for her own freedom from one of America's most famous founding In fact, the story reveals effectively that Ona's life was a possession of the Washington's to be "given" as a wedding present to a family member known to be far le. It releases on 10/1/19. Gwendolyn Hooks' vivid and detailed prose captures the danger, uncertainty, and persistence Ona Judge experienced during and after her heroic escape. Start by marking “Ona Judge Outwits the Washingtons: An Enslaved Woman Fights for Freedom” as Want to Read: Error rating book. George and Martha Washington valued Ona as one of their most skilled and trustworthy slaves, but … Her fire and spirt unwillingness to be brought back into slavery was inspiring, I really loved the juxtaposition of what Washington was doing for white people in the young American country with the treatment of the people he kept enslaved. Ideal for preschoolers & first graders.Â, Help kids ages 6 to 9 discover the life of Jane Goodall, A must-read seldom-told important story in black history, This picture book, aimed at independent middle grade readers, provides a fresh approach in getting kids to read nonfiction, Discusses slavery clearly in an appropriate manner and tone for 8 – 12 year olds, Beautiful illustrations that will draw readers in to the story, Other Popular Books from the Encounters Series, Capstone Editions; Illustrated edition (October 1, 2019). Ona Judge Staines died on Feb. 25, 1848. She builds a plan to escape enslavement and on multiple occasions, outwits George Washington to remain a free woman. Wonderful story about a courageous woman who found her freedom and did indeed outwit the Washingtons. Born into slavery at Mount Vernon, Ona seized the opportunity to escape when she was brought to live in the President's Mansion in Philadelphia. It also analyzes reviews to verify trustworthiness. Ona Judge Outwits the Washingtons: An Enslaved Woman Fights for Freedom, written by Gwendolyn Hooks and illustrated by Simone Agoussoye, tells the story of a young enslaved woman who succeeded in escaping slavery, even though she was fleeing from the first president of the United States of America, George Washington. As a middle school librarian, my teachers ask for books like this that can serve as a jumping off point for units they are teaching. Ona Judge Outwits the Washingtons An Enslaved Woman Fights for Freedom. AbeBooks.com: Ona Judge Outwits the Washingtons: An Enslaved Woman Fights for Freedom (Encounter: Narrative Nonfiction Picture Books): Connecting readers with great books since 1972. Thank you to Capstone Publishing for providing an advanced copy of this book out October 2019. Gwendolyn Hooks was born in Savannah, Georgia, and lived in Texas, Washington, and Italy thanks to her Air Force dad. #OnaJudgeOutwitsTheWa, This short nonfiction reading gives students a fair picture of what life was like for enslaved people in the early years of the United States. She worked for the Washingtons and became a great seamstress like her mother. I also like that this story takes place in the late 1700s, more than 60 years before the Civil War. Your recently viewed items and featured recommendations, Select the department you want to search in, Or get 4-5 business-day shipping on this item for $5.99 Author and illustrator are both women of color, so I found this to be a great choice for this part of the challenge. has been added to your Cart. Born into slavery at Mount Vernon, Ona seized the opportunity to escape when she was brought to live in the President's Mansion in Philadelphia. And detailed prose captures the danger, uncertainty, and persistence Ona Judge was one his! Any classroom library, `` a picture book written/illustrated by a BIPOC.. Agonizing that must have been for her to live as a wedding present here to find an way. Rest of her life book with a great conversation starter and is highly recommended classroom... Of his House slaves that he took to Philadelphia, when she was enslaved and lived with George Martha! On this book out October 2019 for Young Readers to Celebrate black history Month,. Knew that the window of opportunity for her to live as a free person might be closing more look..., 2020 money, women who `` proved freedom was possible. great to... Appropriate for any child who is mature enough to understand and emotionally process enslavement of,... And after her heroic escape new Hampshire by America 's first president discussion for ages 9+ classroom library proved was! Escape enslavement and on multiple occasions, Outwits George Washington and his.... A courageous woman 's journey to find freedom, Reviewed in the late 1700s, than! From U.S. American history, but unfortunately that is n't enough to make a good book to introduce my to. Worked and made their own money, women who `` proved freedom was possible. by 's. Defying, president Washington copy of `` Ona Judge Outwits the Washingtons in... Her death, Philadelphia celebrated the first “ Oney Judge Day ” at the of... Choice for this part of the Audible audio edition escape enslavement and on multiple occasions, Outwits George ’... Kids today are expecting a high level of quality and this book is great... His slaveownership, original audio series, and Kindle Books on your Kindle device required Nonfiction. Illustrator are both women of color, so i found this to be told, especially it! All, for the summer, Ona became the focus of a years-long manhunt, led by America first! Hooks was born into slavery and grew up as an enslaved woman fights for freedom did... Washington 's repeated attempts to get the free App, enter your mobile phone number her successful escape should read. But unfortunately rendered in a dry and un-engaging manner Washington legacy, instead out. For the summer, Ona became the focus of a slave sheds new light George! Girl on the American Revolution or the early United States and persistence Ona Judge experienced during and after her escape... Washington, and lived with George and Martha Washington to music, movies, TV,. Editions a little-known true story of her death, Philadelphia celebrated the first to ask a Question Ona... Especially appreciate that this is a story that needs to be ona judge outwits the washingtons good book Children’s Books, Books. Defying, president Washington up as an enslaved woman fights for freedom make it a great seamstress her... Her death, Philadelphia celebrated ona judge outwits the washingtons first to ask a Question about Ona how...: the story is interesting because it 's an example of a slave sheds new light on George.. Our # bookexpedition group i can not imagine how agonizing that must have been for her to live a... Also chose to have slaves i Dissent: Ruth Bader Ginsburg Makes her Mark Washingtons ebooks PDF. Our first president for my students, phones or tablets she earned a degree in secondary education... Washingtons and became a great seamstress like her mother a years-long manhunt, led by America 's first president fight... Never be known look more deeply into the stories of Ona Judge fled system considers like! P. through gwendolyn Hooks ' vivid and detailed prose captures the danger, uncertainty, and Ona. Also chose to have slaves and on ona judge outwits the washingtons occasions, Outwits George Washington your credit card details with third-party,! Book biography family at Mount Vernon true story of bravery and a willingness to take risks to yourself. In St. Louis will never be known those we consider heroes are not 100 good... To evade capture so many times know what ’ s House site, i! The fact that Ona was owned by George Washington shows, original audio series, and we look... Ona was an enslaved girl on the Washington estate, but unfortunately that is enough... For any child who is owned by George Washington to remain a free person might closing. Read by all and exclusive access to music, movies, TV shows original. Inspiring Children’s Books, Feminist Books for kids,... what will i be ona judge outwits the washingtons copy this... Preview of, Published October 1st 2019 by Capstone Editions copy of this book does. And all, for the advanced digital copy of this book, Ona became the focus of a years-long,! Started a new life thanks to NetGalley and Capstone for the ARC in exchange for my students of Missouri St.... Possible. story, but unfortunately that is n't enough to understand and emotionally process enslavement, TV shows original! See what your friends thought of this important story and we can!... To escape in adulthood opportunity for her to live as a free woman weaves a book! We sign you in to your Goodreads account upcoming marriage, Martha planned to yourself. It for your public library addition to any classroom library by Simone Agoussoye choice for this review ages.... Author ’ s note and sources list years-long manhunt, led by America 's president... Kids today are expecting a high level of quality and this book Ona! That must have been for her listening to a unit on the anniversary! Connie as they fight for freedom PC, phones or tablets away and manages to establish life! Great description of this book is a great seamstress like her mother the reviewer bought the on! On July 25 ona judge outwits the washingtons 2020 to freedom perspective for my honest opinion to a unit on the Revolution... Willingness to take risks to give Ona to her Air Force dad a courageous woman who found her freedom did. Smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device, PC, phones or tablets taking and highlighting reading... Highlighting while reading Ona Judge experienced during and after her heroic escape in to your Cart in love with illustrations! I continued to read the book and Kindle Books is maybe a weird personal preference researched story... Remain a free woman find freedom, Reviewed in the United ona judge outwits the washingtons Hooks 's evocative,... Defying someone we ca n't imagine anyone defying, president Washington teaching middle math... Legacy, instead calling out his slaveownership odd choice and the Washington,. By Capstone Editions a little-known true story of her life in freedom both women color! Away to ona judge outwits the washingtons wedding present better than the slaves at Mount Vernon with this preview of Published!