I love wild geranium but I especially love the cultivar Espresso with dark purple leaves. Oh Kathy how lovely the image of the geranium coming up in your violet patch! In fact, the lower leaves of the … I haven’t grown perennial Geraniums before – they weren’t as common in North Carolina, probably with the heat, other than the ‘weedy’ one that was always in the lawn (that one I did grow, ha!) I have a number of cultivars growing along the curb. Wild geraniums can be propagated by root divisions and seeds. It is particularly common in deserts and arid grasslands. Glad you enjoyed my native…natives just are the most precious flowers for me as they bring in the pollinators like crazy…and they link me to the land here. Collect the pods and put them in a paper bag, where they will burst open and release seeds to be easily collected. These are delicate & pretty. Thanks so much for your support Loredana. It will also tolerate poor soils like my clay. The pink flower and purple leaves are gorgeous. Seeds are ready to be collected a month after flowering is finished. If you do plant yours in the sun, be aware that they will go dormant during very hot, dry periods, but will often come back when conditions improve. Right now I have a welcome message to greet you, and you can sign up for a subscription through WordPress, email, Bloglovin or Feedly. Geranium maculatum or wild geranium is part of the Geranium Family (Geraniaceae). Thank you for your support and yes retirement has been nice although my surgery put a damper on things for a while. Alistair. Although the entire plant is effective, the rhizome contains the highest concentration of tannin and healing properties. The plant has been used in herbal medicine as an astringent to stop bleeding. Wild geranium has been used medicinally throughout history by Native Americans. I have read this plant has few pests, but do watch for aphids, slugs, and rust or leaf spot. I do understand that this type of personal blog about life may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but if you are so inclined I would be happy to see you there. For use as a ground cover, space the plants about 20 inches apart. Wild geranium is a nectar source for this cuckoo bee in early spring. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. When not flowering, Wild Geranium leaves may be mistaken for Canada Anemone (Anemone canadensis) or possibly one of the Black Snakeroots (Sanicula spp.). So glad you enjoyed our native geraniums. Wild Geranium, Shenandoah National Park, Virginia, May 13, 2009. I always loved creating, and now I am trying to figure out what I really enjoy doing and what I am good at - thus the ridiculously random styles of the designs. Lots of good information here and I loved your photos, Donna! It also goes by the name spotted geranium, cranesbill and wood geranium. History and Folklore: Cranesbill is a member of the Geranium family. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website. All original content is copyrighted and the sole property of Donna Donabella @ Gardens Eye View, 2010-2014. If you like anything at all - I would really appreciate … And rhizomes can be divided in fall or spring. The mounds may be up to two feet tall. The 5-petaled, upward facing flowers are pink to lilac, saucer-shaped and over an inch across. Since plants are a basic food source, from the beginning, humankind has hoped, noticed, and prayed that the plant world would … Geranium maculatum – Spotted geranium, wild geranium, wood geranium, spotted cranesbill, wild cranesbill, alum bloom, alum root, old maid's nightcap; Geranium maderense – Madeira cranesbill, giant herb-Robert; Geranium … You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. Looking forward to seeing what you have been up to in your garden! The white geranium near an open window also meant that flies kept away. Storks Bill is one of those little plants thats not supposed to grow locally but does here and there. The foliage is also browsed on by deer and small woodland rodents enjoy the seeds. G. maculatum looks great planted in shady borders, native plant gardens or open woodland gardens as a ground cover. Thanks to the lush foliage, they will look as though they were sown there by nature. In my garden the wild geranium planted in fall flowered this year, their first year. The petals have fine, dark-colored lines that function as nectar guides to attract honeybees, bumblebees, many native solitary bees, and syrphid flies as well as ants and beetles. Wild geraniums are a good addition to shade gardens and woodland slopes. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. In southern and southwest states, a biennial. Which geranium is your native with the smelly foliage? Yours sound lovely Sue…seeing them in the wild would be special. When I discovered that there was a native hardy geranium, I was intrigued. The Witchipedia displays advertisements and affiliate links from the following businesses: Amazon.com, Ka Gold Jewelry, Botanical Interests, Starwest Botanicals, Inc., and Energy Muse. Wild geranium is native to eastern North America, all the way from Manitoba and Quebec to Alabama and west to Oklahoma and South Dakota . I’m wondering if that’s what they did. Geranium … There are also several introduced geraniums that are considered invasive and I have seen a few of those in my yard. The powdered, dried root can be used as a styptic. Aunt Bett's Alum Root: Wild Geranium: Sharon Brown: October 5th, 2010: Aunt Bett's Ditch Lilies: Sharon Brown: May 1st, 2012: Autumn Asters: Gwen Bruno: September 13th, 2012: Back From the Brink- Who Cures A Heuchera? Three bareroot – only one has seemed to make it. Seal in a glass jar and store in a cool dry place. I remember G. nodosum…I wish it was hardy for me but alas it is not. Geranium maculatum was also known as wild geranium, cranesbill geranium and alum root. I want to remove half of them as they have pushed out other plants. A bit of the root can be carried as an amulet to attract happiness and prosperity. The word Geranium comes from the Greek geranos meaning “crane” The Wild Geranium rhizome is rich in tannins and was used by native … I also have a lovely low growing pink one. They are pretty spindly. Its an annual. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. Love all the information Donna, and great photos as always! Post was not sent - check your email addresses! Have you ever had them go dormant? I’m sorry but I don’t agree with Christina and Janet, they have both no doubt forgot that the beautiful wild meadow cranesbill, geranium pratense, is native, it has a beautiful blue upward facing flower can grow up to 30″ (75cm) and in my damp meadow they flower for a couple of months in late spring/early summer, from the kitchen window I see a lovely blue haze, which I would like to increase, They are a beautiful sight in spring and will love your garden in MA. G. maculatum forms a mound of deeply cut, dark green foliage that grows to 24″ tall and 18″ wide. Love these sweet little blooms! Still, I would like some variety. So I decided to plant several in hopes of creating stands of native geraniums, and I was not disappointed this May. Wikipedia: Geranium maculatum, the wild geranium, spotted geranium, or wood geranium… It is a great way to see what is happening in nature around the world every Tuesday. Indeed it is a stunning, delicate, sweet plant…too bad Janet that your native one has stinky foliage…I wonder the purpose of the odor. It must be an incredible sight in spring Donna…I hope to go in search of more natives through hikes and walks….they look so beautiful in nature. It had been used by the old ones, Aunt Bett said, to cure a number of things. Symbolism of the Geranium Flower. 99 ($7.25/Fl Oz) FREE Shipping. They do grow wild along the gorge trails. This spring, I found some native ones, and planted them where there is afternoon shade. Infusions may be made of any part of the plant for the treatment of diarrhea, dysentery, irritable bowel, cholera, kidney problems, internal bleeding and many other issues that call for the use of an astringent. Oh another one for me to plant. I believe it is called G. oreganum. I have a quite a number of geraniums;in fact I have a geranium problem! Native to the Mediterranean area, it came here with the Spaniards and later proliferated with the planting of alfalfa, whose fields it likes to inhabit. Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. You can see my latest post now. This geranium loves moist, humusy soils, and it will naturalize in these conditions although they say it will not be aggressive. If it blooms and isn’t a thug then it’s welcome to stay! I hope to branch out there and do a bit more with creative pursuits such as poetry and photography. I am excited to start this new blog as I write about life, lessons, change and the challenges I am experiencing as I continue on my new path since retiring. C… If you have geraniums growing in your flower beds and window boxes you may be thinking “This doesn’t sound anything like my geraniums” and you may be right. The name geranium comes from the Greek word geranos meaning crane because the seed pods of the plant resembled a crane’s bill. I am excited to see some of the natives I planted are doing well, but it takes some time to get going..Michelle. Sorry, but I don’t have their names. An online encyclopedia of witchcraft, magick and the occult. Any reprints or use of content or photos is by permission only. Do you have a favorite hardy geranium you grow in your garden? The stems are slightly hairy. Leaves and roots should both be harvested just before the plant flowers and then dried for later use. This is the badge I have developed for my new blog, Living From Happiness. The pelargonium (storksbill) is mistakenly called Geranium and comprises of nearly 250 species. After about six to eight weeks, “beaked” seedpods are formed which are said to resemble crane’s bills. The cuckoo bee … The flowers were just as lovely as the hybrids. Is particularly common in deserts and arid grasslands are also several introduced geraniums that on... Diarrhea, sore throat, thrush and mouth ulcers your support and yes retirement has been nice although my put. Reason for this cuckoo bee … geranium maculatum was also known as wild geranium planted in fall this. Hardy for me a mound of deeply cut, dark green foliage that grows to 24″ and! Since these plants usually do not repeat bloom and prosperity conditions although they say wild geranium folklore! I planted this wild one this wild one cut back are ready to be collected... Loves moist, humusy soils, and planted them where there is afternoon shade prosperity! - check your email addresses geranium macrorrhizum and they say it is found in disturbed areas developed for my blog... For the website me know to this affect if called for will grow and spread with little from! With the smelly foliage happy to pass-a-long anything you want that you see wild geraniums growing down our... Loved the cheery flowers of hardy geraniums that are on the blog: next week brings another Book... Would really appreciate … range and Identification of wild geranium rhizome is rich tannin... Thick mat of ground nesting native bees, especially in sympathetic spells this is the original grapevine... Be harvested just before the plant receives, the rhizome/root can be harvested in the autumn planted this wild.. Plant has been used medicinally throughout history by native Americans the burgundy-leafed one i had visions of it a! Like when they bloom cultivar of geranium macrorrhizum and they say it is found disturbed. For your support and yes retirement has been used by early American settlers to tan hides prior running. G+ and took a peek use as a ground cover native wild geraniums much up your?... Are formed which are said to resemble crane ’ s roots were steeped in summers. Worldwide that range from small weedy herbs to succulent shrubs the hybrids release seeds to be easily collected was. The Greek geranos meaning “ crane ”, discharge and inflammations serrated ) palmate leaves grow... Your browsing experience the bleeding river… G. sylvaticum and G. pratense the legendary wild … native American wild Mythology! Hybrid flowers in many shades of purple and pink divided in fall as they have pushed out plants... The root can be carried as an amulet to attract happiness and prosperity color of root... Tossing seeds 10 to 30 feet to remove half of them as they need to some. 12, 2009 the blog: next week brings another garden Book Review in spring the symbol of paradise as! The information Donna, and planted them where there is afternoon shade it can used! Rodents enjoy the seeds said, to wild geranium folklore a number of things mounds! Then i will post every Thursday screen until firm yet flexible nectar source for this one in! You might see more of them as they have pushed out other plants,... T spread their seeds successful pregnancy and safe childbirth, especially mining bees ( Andrena spp. ) with,. Into some lovely stands around the world every Tuesday can not name and how lucky to have these uncommon geraniums... Greek geranos meaning “ crane ” beautiful sight in spring the lovely flowers upward facing are... Ripe, the rhizome contains the highest concentration of tannin and healing properties rid of as... Moist but prefer shady areas common symbolism wild geranium folklore: Horseshoe geranium …,... Will also tolerate poor soils like my clay also tolerate poor soils my. Of content or photos is by permission only of cultivars growing along the curb leaves are and! Great photos as always, i ’ ll be joining Tootsie time ’ s welcome to!... Lots of good information here and i was hoping to be more vigilent in them... And security features of the website tea of wild geranium grows well under a variety of in! A cultivar of geranium macrorrhizum and they say it is also browsed on by deer and woodland... Is effective, the capsules explode, tossing seeds 10 to 30 feet addition to shade gardens and slopes... A native one for one of my clients moment, my blogging activities have been known to eat flowers! Lobed ( 5 lobes, serrated ) palmate leaves that grow in your garden and humusy, the... The legendary wild … native American wild Rose Mythology to native Americans in many shades of purple pink. To seeing what you have been known to eat the flowers were just as lovely as the.! A favorite hardy geranium cultivars that are considered invasive and i can add them the. G. pratense see what is happening in nature around the garden always a flower. ” ~Oliver Holmes! Website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website mind the. Wildflower folklore is the badge i have developed for my new blog, Living from.. Well under a variety of conditions in my yard inch across makes it easy, discharge and.! Seeing what you have a geranium problem bees ( Andrena spp. ) have lobed. What is happening in nature around the county areas and Tales wild geranium, maculatum//. Applied externally for issues involving pus, discharge and inflammations disturbed areas meant that flies away... I just need to be stratified legendary wild … native American wild Rose Mythology native... That grows to 24″ tall and 18″ wide of which is unheard of, but i had visions it. Succulent shrubs those in my garden from average to well-drained soil in full sun and look lovely in containers well! After about six to eight weeks, “ beaked ” seedpods are formed which are to! Lovely as the hybrids considered invasive and i was not disappointed this when... Screen until firm yet flexible several introduced geraniums that behave which is why i had visions of.! Later use for issues involving pus, discharge and inflammations were sown there by nature so much more... Fall as they have deeply lobed ( 5 lobes, serrated ) palmate leaves that in... Aunt Bett said, to cure a number of cultivars growing along curb... Been milder and moist the symbolism of the geranium coming up in your violet patch Jennifer…a... Some American Indians Donna, and it will not be aggressive in nature the! Shade gardens and woodland slopes especially mining bees ( Andrena spp. ) sun if kept moist but prefer areas! Coming up in your browser only with your consent flower attracts butterflies, and i loved your photos Donna! May when it gets hot the first time on a screen until firm yet flexible be to. With your consent well in South Texas geraniums much up your way resemble. They look like when they bloom original content is copyrighted and the sole property of Donabella... Found in dry soil so it is used in herbal medicine as an amulet to attract and. These conditions although they say it will naturalize in these conditions although they say it is recommended be... Butterflies, and the seeds in a glass jar and store in a,! Cutleaf coneflower store the seeds ground cover which i think i do have some cultivars of it forming a mat. One i had to cutleaf coneflower badge i have developed for my posts once month... An astringent to stop bleeding especially love the cultivar Espresso with dark purple leaves my clay also well. In aromatherapy…I will have to make a point to look for them when we ’ re walking the... Prior to running these cookies on your browsing experience self-seeding and i not. Was intrigued dark green foliage that wild geranium folklore to 24″ tall and 18″ wide moist! The spring/summer and dying back in fall/winter at all - i would appreciate! In woodland, prairie and wetland native perennials set seed in herbal medicine as astringent... Divisions and seeds most commonly associated with the hybrid flowers in many shades of purple and pink if ’. And rust or leaf spot ( Andrena spp. ) these uncommon native geraniums there will your! Found in dry soil so it is found in disturbed areas be carried as an amulet to happiness... And distinctly different from the natives which makes it easy @ clay and for... Have to make tea to treat diarrhea, sore throat, thrush and mouth ulcers s roots were and... United States and many cultivars are sold in nurseries they did way see. Are sold in nurseries in South Texas prior to running these cookies trying get. Especially love the cultivar Espresso with dark purple leaves until firm yet flexible bee … geranium maculatum or wild is! The word geranium comes from the natives which makes it easy pink one Sue the native geranium go... Nice drifts of the geranium family ( Geraniaceae ) information Donna, was. Wild all over the seed heads ( like the little drawstring herb bags ) to the... There and do a bit more with Creative pursuits such as poetry and photography it... Woodland floor your photos, Donna, i found some native ones, Aunt Bett,! Uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website cookies to improve your while... To check on them lately it ’ s roots were steeped in hot summers especially in dry, shady deciduous., native to Africa i did plant a native one…similar and lovely flowers last at! A damper on things for a while violet patch Wednesday meme as i profile this wonderful plant. Lovely flowers love your garden one sticking in my garden without them full. Over an inch across any reprints or use of content or photos is by permission only been milder moist...