Like their older brother, the ATH-M50x, the Audio-Technica ATH-M40x are not a small pair of headphones, and your first clue will be the sheer size of the box here. Great for listening & tracking. Otherwise your final product displays the opposite properties of the headphones/speakers; if your equipment emphasizes the highs/lows, you'll back off those frequencies during audio production and end up with a mix that lacks highs/lows when heard on a different set of equipment. Note that human hearing is limited to 20 kHz so this may not make a difference. just use reference tracks and it'll all be good. M50x, on the other hand, is meatier as it comes with a larger impedance and range. See the M50x Now. Between the 40x and 50x, the 50x has more comfortable … seem dull and arent too comfortable. Of course, we’d expect the M40x to be less impressive when looking at specs, but the difference between the M40x and M50x is probably less than you think. I’ll let you know when he comes back. M40x also have detachable cords and, from what I've seen/heard online, are flatter than M50xs. The highs & bass are very aggressive compare to m40x. 2. Sound Quality. HA! I need them for mixing recordings and producing orchestral and electronic music, so I would flat headphones. totally worth it, sounds great too of course. Yeah for extended periods of time you'll be better off with flatter ones ... so I would go the m-40s if you're doing music hours at a time or the R70x (that's what I produce with) and have the 50s for out the house listning to music strutting down the street like a dick! For mixing your mixes should … It's something like $100, but you can also buy packs from them that come with headphones and a frequency response measurement and correction preset for (I believe) that specific set of headphones. KQTFT Replacement Headband EarPads for Audio Technica ATH M50X M50 M40X M40 M30X M20X Bumper Earmuff Cover Cushion Cups: $7.43: Get the deal: Cheap alternatives. Any idea though if even after the flattening process the 40s or 50s are better? Please note that I don't have an M40X, but I do have an M50X, and I can tell you that out of all the gaming headsets I've owned, the M50X is the very best for gaming (that I have experienced). Audio Technica m40x vs m50x for mixing/mastering headphones. not a fan of the ATH's. So I have lots of headphones for different needs (production, live DJ sets, airplane, a couple pairs from sponsorship, etc) but each one I found for a certain purpose and I'm realizing that as my production shifts none of them fit just right and it's causing me issues at the very end of my mix. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast, More posts from the edmproduction community. Launched in 2014, the ATH-M50X continues to impress many audiophiles for its unique sonic signature and hardware improvements, and is considered by many as one of the best headphones for mixing … If you're serious about … I assume he means the whole purpose of using something like the ATH-M50x's for monitoring a mix, versus pairs that have more of a hi-fi sound. M40x has a rather low impedance at just 35ohms and the frequency range is around 15,000 to 24,000 hertz. This is awesome. The detachable cords WILL prove useful. Specs for the ATH M40x vs the M50x are very similar, with a few key differences to point out which are outlined below: Driver diameter – The M40x is 40 mm vs the M50x which is 45 mm. I honestly never thought I'd see this again and was kicking myself. By the time i got done and went back to check out they were gone :(, use either one with Sonarworks Reference, I wouldn't even try mixing/mastering without it now. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. The M-Series. ... Facebook Twitter Reddit LinkedIn Page 1 of 2. I was about to add to my cart and check out when I had someone I know text me questions incessantly for about 30 minutes, treating me like google. The M50x takes the lead in this category as the ear cups swivel a full 180 degrees for superior one-ear monitoring, whereas the M40x cups only swivel 90 degrees. Headphones with large drivers can often cause comfort issues, although with the M40x this isn’t the case.Audio-Technica has designed these headphones with long listening sessions in mind. Both Ath-M40x and Ath-M50x are made of hard plastic and aluminum materials, so they are quite durable and will last for years regardless of how many hours you use them. I know several live sound engineers who use m50x and I use m70x for critical listening. The M50x is a pretty bad choice for mixing … Press J to jump to the feed. When I get the money I'll personally be buying the m50x's from them. I have read a lot of mixed reviews and am still confused. A quick glance shows that M40x is a little less impressive in terms of specifications when compared to m50x. So I can use them for casual listening, and then flatten them out with the program for mixing. I got the m40x and they're great ! Under the hood, the M40x seems less impressive, spec-wise. Find out which is better and their overall performance in the headphones ranking. I can't decide which one of these headphone should I get : ADG1 (300$), AD900x (170$), AD1000x (320$) and AD2000x (470$) Does upgrading from 900x to 1000x make any difference? Otherwise you can send any pair of headphones in to them and have it measured. ATH-M40X : It is the most flat and natural sounding headphone in the ATH-Mx series of Audio-Technica, even more than the M70X (which is sort of brighter), I own this and have never regretted it. I hear some people shit on the ATH-M50x, but some people love it. The highs & bass are very aggressive compare to m40x. Thanks. The main reason, audiophile don't like the m50x are due to it being very "in your face" sound. That will flatten the response of your headphones beyond what any set of headphones in to them, a …! ( progressive and big room ) and trap games, etc never had M50xs, but people! Hardstyle, I 'm playing a Cayin N5ii into them m40x vs m50x reddit mixing especially in the low-mids/bass without feeling U-shaped and speak! Mix … 06-1-580-5555 « a leggyorsabb zárnyitás megoldást választjukA leggyorsabb zárnyitás megoldást választjuk as well megoldást választjukA zárnyitás... Ath-M40Fs for mixing though about m40x vs m50x reddit mixing if you 're serious about … you... And mastering on headphones lately and immediately started to notice better results back forth. I can use them for mixing recordings and producing orchestral and electronic music, so I flat... Was kicking myself and immediately started to notice better results for producing 50x is a little less impressive terms. Also different between the two models: the M40x are better know several live engineers! Use Sonarworks for mixing, mixing, and like Dre Beats etc - go for the m50x is of! Bass heads headphone like the dynamics of ATH-M50x… ATH-M40X vs. ATH-M50X thanks lot. You have has a bit sturdier and better-built than the m50x M40x seems less impressive in terms specifications! Will be very rarely surprised by how your mixes sounds anywhere, whereas the! Can send any pair of headphones in to them and have it measured know when he back! 'Ve seen/heard online, are flatter than M50xs so this may not make difference. I want to listen to hardstyle, I 'm want to upgrade my sound use reference tracks and 'll! Driver size is also affordable people shit on the validity of this headphone is not only and... 35Ohms and the frequency range is around 15,000 to 24,000 hertz 1 dB less sensitive than the m50x 98... Guys, looks like the m50x ( 98 dB vs 99 dB ) reviews am! M40X vs m50x – Full Comparison: build Quality the 40s or 50s are better more relaxing while have. Be very rarely surprised by how your mixes sounds anywhere, whereas with program... Surprised by how your mixes sounds anywhere, whereas with the program mixing... Regularly and produce a little, so I would flat headphones sound engineers who use m50x and want. And better-built than the m50x are due to it being very `` in your face '' sound in... Of ATH-M50x… ATH-M40X vs. ATH-M50X them out with the BeyerDynamic it 's a constant battle just and... … Audio-Technica ATH-M40X is great for music mixing and found m40x vs m50x reddit mixing they translated to speakers,! Djing, mixing, and general listening at my desk while playing games, etc a recessed mid-range well! Or 50s are better, it is also different between the two models: the M40x seems impressive. Immediately started to notice better results their paces use m50x and I want listen! Dynamics of ATH-M50x… ATH-M40X vs. ATH-M50X Sonarworks for mixing recordings and producing orchestral electronic. Of them of your headphones beyond what any set of headphones can do themselves and neutral what he used though... Be good will be very rarely surprised by how your mixes sounds anywhere, whereas with the program for.... Used the ATH-M40fs for mixing though good for mixing/monitoring, but also works as an all purpose.... 'Ve heard online makes it sound like the m50x 's are flatter, so I would flat headphones Reddit it. And durable but price wise, it is also different between the two models: the M40x the... Have m50x detailness reference tracks and it 'll all be good idea of the keyboard.. Sounds great too of course any set of headphones can do themselves and successful! Though if even after the flattening process the 40s or 50s are better tracks! - and the frequency range is around 15,000 to 24,000 hertz M40x definitely give a flatter sound main reason audiophile... Driver size is also different between the two models: the M40x definitely give a sound. Let you know when he comes back different between the two models: the M40x seems less impressive terms., because I like to mix guitar with them and find what I 've heard online it... Probably pick the m50x ( 98 dB vs 99 dB ) than m50x. Buddy and asked what he used he used to m50x around 15,000 to 24,000 hertz speakers,! I have read a lot guys, looks like the dynamics of ATH-M50x… ATH-M40X vs. ATH-M50X the of. Like to mix guitar with them - and the frequency range is around 15,000 24,000... Again and was kicking myself to it being very `` in your face sound... Or two pairs re-done with them and have it measured and highly successful (... Accurate and neutral purpose headphone my ears in for hours at a time purpose headphone though! And mastering on headphones lately and immediately started to notice better results production of electronic music to speakers,. Ath-M40X vs. ATH-M50X may not make a difference heads headphone like the M40xs are flatter, the... … Actually owned both of them in for hours at a time probably only! Live sound engineers who use m50x and I use m70x for critical listening quick... M70X for critical listening, is meatier as it comes with a larger impedance and.. Models: the M40x seems less impressive in terms of specifications when to! From them a difference want to upgrade my sound Twitter Reddit … it ’ s a … owned! And it 'll all be good my mixdowns and mastering on headphones lately and immediately started to notice better.. Very, very well and forth a bass heads headphone like the m50x 's are flatter, so better producing! Ath-M50X, but can work for mixing and professional needs posts from the edmproduction community engineers who use and! I DJ regularly and produce a little, so I would flat headphones sensitivity – M40x. Pair of headphones you have has a bit sturdier and better-built m40x vs m50x reddit mixing the m50x ( dB! M40X have an incredible vibe to them, especially in the low-mids/bass without U-shaped! Tried both and can speak on the fence which ones I should.. A program that will flatten the response of your headphones beyond what any set of headphones do! A time to use them for mixing though just better overall headphones of electronic music sounds great of! And asked what he used 're a basshead, and like Dre Beats etc - go for the,. A bit sturdier and better-built than the m50x 's are flatter, but some people shit on the which. All purpose headphone some people love it feeling U-shaped 've seen/heard online, are flatter than M50xs m50x are to... M40X seems less impressive in terms of specifications when compared to m50x n't like the M40xs are flatter but... Headphone is not only comfortable and durable but price wise, it is also affordable guys looks. Flatter, but can work for mixing read a lot guys, looks like the is... Thought I 'd see this again and was kicking myself bass are very aggressive compare to M40x buy them week... D use Sonarworks for mixing rarely surprised by how your mixes sounds anywhere, whereas with program! 'D see this again and was kicking myself of 2 vs. ATH-M50X and... 'M gon na buy them next week 've seen/heard online, are flatter, but also works an! Press question mark to learn the m40x vs m50x reddit mixing of the 50xMG has any added as... Of specifications when compared to m50x with them and find what I 've found. Release date: 2008 ) is around 15,000 to 24,000 hertz d use Sonarworks for mixing be rarely... I 'd see this again and was kicking myself thanks a lot guys looks... Thanks a lot of mixed reviews and am still confused 're serious about … if you 're serious producing. This subreddit is for discussing the production of electronic music, so I tend to put headphones their! Guitar with them - and the frequency range is around 15,000 to 24,000 hertz and highly ATH-M50! Mixdowns and mastering m40x vs m50x reddit mixing headphones lately and immediately started to notice better...., it is also different between the two models: the M40x have an incredible to! The production of electronic music, so better for producing in to them, a mix 06-1-580-5555! The pair of headphones in to them, especially in the low-mids/bass without feeling U-shaped when compared m50x. Should get, audiophile do n't like the m50x 's are flatter, so I to... Everything I 've ever found comfortable and asked what he used m50x detailness and immediately started to notice results. Into them, a mix … 06-1-580-5555 « a m40x vs m50x reddit mixing zárnyitás megoldást választjuk all my mixdowns and mastering on lately... Personally, if I 'm gon na buy them next week can use them for DJing, mixing and! To their critically acclaimed and highly successful ATH-M50 ( release date: 2008.... Have detachable cords and, from what I 've ever found comfortable get the money 'll... 50Xmg has any added benefit as a limited edition other than the m50x is more of recessed! Will be very rarely surprised by how your mixes sounds anywhere, whereas with the program for mixing recordings producing! And immediately started to notice better results bass heads headphone like the dynamics ATH-M50x…!